Yes – it is an industry. Remember that models exist for two reasons: ART and ADVERTISING. Unfortunately art models make little to no money.
The modeling industry is actually a very basic and simple subset of the advertising world and it works very much like the entertainment industry.
There really is no secret sauce, it doesn’t really matter who you know, and there is only one guarantee in this business… FAILURE! Nobody gets hired for every job.
People who remember the modeling industry is a business, and approach it like a business with realistic expectations will tend to have success. People, who want to have fun or want to become famous, generally fail in the professional modeling world – regardless of what they look like.
More about the Modeling Industry
- So you want to be a model?
- What are the different types of modeling?
- Glossary of Modeling Terms and Phrases
- Who should be a model?
- It’s not enough to be pretty if you want to model
- Do I need to take classes to be a model?
- Obstacles to becoming a model
- Location, Location, Location – You model where you live
- What is too old, Too short or Too heavy to model?
- Model Branding – It’s not just for cattle
- Models should NEVER arrive on time!
- I want to be a model – do I need a web site?
- How long will it take before I am making money as a model?
- Is Craigslist a good place to find modeling jobs?